Saturday, August 17, 2013

I need to de-program.

Although I was treated with the best of care by the most friendliest and expert people, it is so good being home.

I was really, really, looking forward to sleeping in my own bed. It did feel so great to crawl in under my fav blanket, with my fav pillows, with my windows up I could hear the nocturnal symphony of locusts, train whistles, crickets, and ummm...... "tree frogs." Yesterday was a big day both physically and emotionally and I was beat -looking forward to some serious recharge time. But instead it was like I was still in "hospital mode."

I went to bed at 9 and although it seemed weird not being hooked up to my 9 pm IV, it felt good crawling in after doing my new required nightly routine now of gulping 19 pills, weighing myself, checking my blood sugar, blood pressure, and temperature just like at the hospital.
It was odd that, although I have forever slept on my left side, (now known as the "kidney side") I was now attempting to sleep on my right side (now the "pancreas side") as I had done on occasion in the hospital to facilitate the two JP drains that they had draining fluids from my abdomen. Weird.

I drifted off for a bit but woke at 11pm to use the bathroom (and wait for the nurse to change my IV and give me my a shot of Atavan ???)
Then some fitful tossing and turning 'til midnight or so ( as I waited for the patient's aid to come and check my vital signs ???)
Sleep finally came, but again at 2 am,so did nature's call. 
Grrrr.
Then at 3..... Boom!, Awake! ( and waiting to have 4 tubes of blood drawn and my vitals checked again ???) 
What the ???
At 4 am I was awake like clockwork 
( and ready to get out of bed to be weighed by the aid.....???)

Now I lay here, eyes wide open at 6 am,
waiting to have my vitals checked, meds given, IV's changed, and doctor's visit).
Argh.

Morning came a little early today - woke me up when I wasn't ready..... 
but at least as I lay here, I can listen to the birds singing and the world coming into play outside and not hear hospital code calls and IV machines beeping.

And I am thankful.

It's gonna be a good day.

I just need to re-program a bit.

7 comments:

  1. Sleep routines can be really hard and take time to get back on track. Luckily though, you can take all the naps you want as it should be quiet at your house. Also, prednisone is notorious for causing insomnia and giving nightmares...at least for me. Once you get used to them an/or your dosage drops, sleep should be easier. But until then...continue to just lounge around...take naps and be patient. Hope today is another great day for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old routine will come back soon enough. As you have heard oh so often, 'take it one day at a time'. You my friend, have MANY new days!!!!!!!!!!! All the best today!! ENJOY! Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friends all give very good advice. Listen to them. Sleep when your body tells you to. Rest and relax and listen to the birds........... :) Cuz Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to hear your first night at home insights. What a nice welcome home Kara prepared!
    Continue to rest and heal in your own "home sweet home"--the best healing environment with family and friends supporting you. Prayers will continue.
    Love,

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  5. so happy Bob to hear you are doing well and enjoying the comforts of your home. Continuing to pray for renewed strength and that you are able to get back to doing everything you love. Have a blessed weekend! Dona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, that is such good news to hear that you finally made it back home. I am so happy that things are going good for your now. Just don't try to overdue it, that's all. I think about you my friend everyday and pray for you all the time. I will stop down and visit you after you get some rest time and home time for a bit. I have been trying to keep up with the blogs, and my Mom helps me out with that a lot too. She get's on and reads them too. Take care my friend and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take advantage of this time you have to rest! I'm still praying for your full and focused recovery. The world is a better place because of you...

    ReplyDelete