Thursday, September 5, 2013

Though the course may change sometimes....rivers always reach the sea

Clinic went well today.
Vitals were good and it looks as though I may just have beat the pesky lo grade fever that's been hounding me. They assure me that the tremors that haunt me now will subside over the coming weeks. 

If I heard it once, I heard it a half dozen times today - "Bob! You're only one month out! You have to give it time!"

They again did more bloodwork today and It's been determined from the blood that I had drawn on Tuesday that quite ironically my blood  platelet levels are a bit too high now. 

Remember, just a month ago they were filling me with platelets to try and stop all the bleeding. Well now it seems like nature is taking the reigns again and I currently have more than enough and so today I was started on the drug Plavix to thin things out just a bit. It is a fine line after transplant, between being suceptible to excessive bleeding and forming clots and either can be real bad news. 

Dr. Narins had expected me to be on this drug shortly after the surgery to ensure good blood flow through the anastamosis but held off due to all the bleeding, now the tide has shifted a bit and the danger would come from a clot in the same area. 
So what's another pill in the big handful.

Speaking of pills, today I had to order my second round (mail-order, big-time stuff here). The big drug truck should be delivering the cases on Saturday.

I also had to set up 3 sessions of what is known as "Ig therapy," today - otherwise known as Cytogam that will take place over the next 3 months where once each month, a nurse will come to my house and administer a very slow 2-3 hour IV. This will protect against any possible "Cytomegalovirus." Or CMV.
Yeah.
I don't even like the sounds of that.
No sir.

All in all....it's getting better all the time.
Maybe not at Bobspeed but all in good time.

Thanks for checkin' in here.

10 comments:

  1. Bobspeed is like lightening and sometimes you have to (at least) slow down to smell those roses. Glad the progression continues. Lets say "Godspeed"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible management of your post op care!! They miss nothing. You are in good hands. And as you said, what's one more pill. By the way, the marsupial pouch you describe is from abdominal muscle atrophy, no calorie counting, mister! I'm sure you still look mighty fine in your Speedo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I toast to your steady progress and improving health! REALLY, it is 7 am here and I am having toast! : ) At 5 pm I WILL "toast to you" with a 'clink' !!

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy to hear the good news -- "slow and steady wins the race"....... Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress Bob! Thanks for the good news update. Stay with the program.
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob ate a steak! Just thought I would share since everyone wants to know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really have to start watching what I tell certain people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome new my friend!!! Enjoy this wonderful weekend!!! Keep smiling!!! :) Always, Jo :)

    ReplyDelete