Monday, August 19, 2013

Sometimes you gotta take the crap with the cream...

So clinic seemed to go well today. I saw tx coordinators Becca, Deb, chief nurse Judy, Dr. Yang, Dr. Narins, Dr. Waybill, had multiple examinations, vitals, and bloodwork done.

They all said that I looked "terrific". Dr. Waybill said I looked better than most recipients of just a kidney. So that's good to hear. But when they asked what I had been doing the past 2.5 days...I got yelled at "for doing too much".
I feel like I've been just a real load - not doing much of anything.
Better and stronger are coming very slowly and I am notoriously impatient. 
I was also told that I am not to go to church, markets, or be in any kind of crowds for at least another two weeks because of a drug they gave me to really K.O. my immune system. The effects of this drug should linger for about another week and a half. 
They really have this stuff down at Pinnacle. 

Dr Waybill understands my cabin fever but told me that if something gets wrong with my new kidney, they can almost always fix it with meds. The pancreas - not so much. And so cabin fever or not - I've come too far, been through too much to risk that.
I am pretty darn ecstatic with two wonderfully working organs and I plan to do all I need to to keep them that way.

The docs started me on another drug today that will thin my blood a bit. It's customary for tx recipients to be on such a drug but they stopped mine when I was bleeding so much. It's a very, very, fine line and so they will be watching this extremely closely.

I have clinic and labs again on Thursday. Twice a week for several months.
In a weird way....it's kind of comforting that they follow you so closely.
There's peace of mind in knowing that if anything goes awry, they would know in very short order and be able to address it.

I've been thinking that it was already 2 weeks ago this evening when things went really south - the RRT code, and being rushed back to ICU in the middle of the night. I hope to never relive an episode like that.
The past is done and I'm movin' on.

Nothing is going to go awry.

I'm a believer.

Thanks for checking here....I'll post again tomorrow.


5 comments:

  1. Like I've been saying...PLEASE take it easy. You've got a whole life ahead of you! Plenty of time NOW to slow down and be busy LATER! So give yourself permission to enjoy this RandR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to your team. Inspite of the "bumps" in the road, you are doing amazingly well. No need to take any chances. What's a few weeks compared to the rest of your life?!?!
    Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the time to start a novel (or two). Don't ya have a pile of "I've been meaning to read this"? Even in this technological age, nothing beats a good old fashioned book : )
    Like I said...listen to Marilyn!

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a "believer" too Bob! Allow yourself this 'time' to truly heal and be well again. Please don't rush it. I have a ton of books (like Lisa said) if you want to borrow some (....but they are mostly Danielle Steele and I'm not sure that's what you would like!) LOL. Take care! We all care!
    Love--Cuz Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I am going to give it my best 'cheerleader' chant..."R.E.S.T what's that spell??!!!!!" REST, REST, REST!!!!!! So there ya' go!!! Do as you are told! At least going to the Dr. office is kind of getting out and about. But you really can't take the chance of coming down with a 'bug'. As you well know!! Catch up on some old movies or better yet, some old tv programs...and 'I mean the old ones....the good ones, the ones we grew up on!! Enjoy today, for you have many more to follow!!! :) Jo

    ReplyDelete