Monday, August 26, 2013

Knowledge speaks but Wisdom listens...

I had clinic this morning.

(Again this is back at Pinnacle and it's where I get examined by the doctors, have blood work drawn, talk to the nurse and transplant coordinators and anybody else that I need to see.)
 
I'm still fighting a low grade fever but they told me not to worry about it unless it gets above 100°.
This morning I had another problem that I've had several times since the transplant and that was shaking or what they call "tremors". It's really kind of disconcerting because my hands shake like I'm about 100 years old. Hard to drink your tea in the morning when you're having something short of a grand mal seizure.
To that end, they made some significant changes in my medications today as they believe the tremors were caused by too much of the steroid called Prograf which they've reduced today.
Because they reduced this steroid they had to increase one of my other steroids called CellCept to cover the bases.

Today they also stopped my Ceftin, increased my K-Phos, and increased my Metroprolol. (Three of the 19 meds that I'm currently on.)

So it is a fine balancing act between all of these drugs and this is the fine-tuning part of the program.

At home here the pain at my incisions is a little more significant than in the hospital but that's ONLY because I am walking more. At the hospital I tried to walk several times each day around the sixth floor but then I went back and either sat in a chair or went back to bed. 
Now I'm walking around my house everywhere and up and down stairs. So this is a good pain - pain from using my abdominal muscles. (Remember I have two 10 -12 inch incisions, one on each side that's like a J and a backwards J they come almost together below my navel to form something like a big smile.)
Yeah. T.M.I.

So here at home, rest assured I've been doing absolutely nothing strenuous so those of you who said to "behave" or "take it easy" or "just chill" - trust me, that is exactly what I'm doing. 
If you don't believe me I'll set up a Skype link and you can see. It's about as exciting and fast paced as watching paint dry.

The chief nurse at clinic summed it up this way this morning when she said:
"I didn't get the transplant to live for the organs - I got the organs transplanted to live."

So that's about it for now from here.

Thank you for continually checking in here. 
I will continue to post during this recovery.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the TMI! Anytime Bob Lenz shares TMI, I am smilin' : ) It seems you just keep "putting one foot in front of the other" and healing will continue to happen. Nice job on being as exciting as watching paint dry; you have lot's of time for your "stand up" routine!
    Continue to take "good care"...
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking a nanny cam might be in order. GP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are home again! Was glad to hear your are following a "paced" recovery as so many of us reinforced. Patience as is said is a true virtue. Wishing you much of this virture and slow and steady healing!

    Love, Dot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with GP.....Nanny cam!! Good to hear you are home. Enjoy this great weather we are having! School starts tomorrow for us here. A new beginning for many! Just like you! Take care!! Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are taking it all in stride...one day at a time. Hope the new med changes ease the tremors for ya...tremorvoid. Glad you are being good and taking it easy...please be extra careful and slow and steady on the stairs. I also vote for the nanny cam ;)
    Love your "TMI"...I think its perfect that your incisions form a BFS :)
    Rest easy tonight bob!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the juicy medical details! Nothing makes me squirm....shoulda been a nurse.
    Bring it on ! Forget the nanny cam, how about a reality show ...Bobs World . And you could do pharmasudical endorsements. I told you journalism is one of your fortes !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the juicy medical details! Nothing makes me squirm....shoulda been a nurse.
    Bring it on ! Forget the nanny cam, how about a reality show ...Bobs World . And you could do pharmasudical endorsements. I told you journalism is one of your fortes !

    ReplyDelete