Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It's been a very busy morning....

So far today I've had more bloodwork done, an ultrasound of my abdomen,
had a visit from a eucharistic minister, 
and visits from Deb, my transplant coordinator, Dr. Waybill, the chief nephrologist from the transplant team who brought 2 of her students with her,
and a visit from Dr. Diamond, the hospital's nephrologist and one of his residents.

So here's the news - my fever seems gone. My amylase and lypase levels are back to NORMAL and Dr. Waybill tells me that Yes, elevated levels of these are often the precursors of organ rejection but when that happens it takes at least 2 or 3 days of meds to bring the levels to where they should be. Because mine came back to normal in such a short time they're not as concerned with the dreaded
"R word."

So to further investigate the cause of the fever and night sweats that I've been having Dr. Waybill is ordering a CAT scan of my midsection. These folks are nothing if not thorough. I can't have any lunch today (and these dang steroids make me ravenous.) and the plan to give me a dye contrast by both IV and a drug by mouth that I need to drink that will protect my new kidney from the effects of this dye that Dr. Diamond say's is quite nasty tasting.

They have also heard a small rattle in my lungs so they are sending for another chest X-ray.

The tremors that have been pestering me have definitely eased. And with the fever gone as of right now (fingers crossed)
 I am feeling "pretty good" this morning.

Thanks for checking/caring.

I'll update here as the busy day goes on.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, what a GREAT RELIEF it is to read this latest update! This is FANTASTIC news. The roller coaster slows! It seems that there could not be any better group of people taking care of you! Keep on feeling GOOD and "being there" in that place of goodness and caring and positive thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry not to get to visit with you yesterday Marilyn.
      But we'll have tea - hot or sun, on the patio soon and
      You, Rick and I will be kayaking in no time,
      (as confucios say: 3 is not a crowd, if 3 are in seperate boats.)

      Delete
  2. Bobercup hope things are continuing to improve. Try to keep the faith. God does know what he is doing, although, I have questioned him a time or several. Thanks for keeping us posted

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonnna' get "Bobbercup"
    Funny.
    Funny Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The highs are not as high and the lows are not so low. Things are starting to level out. Keep the faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, Soo.. glad to hear better news today. Thinking of you often with frequent prayers--and now some thanksgiving for a positive response to the treatment. Love Dot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bobersaucer (to go with Bobercup!) -- tee hee -- glad to hear today is a better day. Liked your own MLK tribute! No matter what you are going through, you are always thinking of others! Relax - rest - let yourself heal. Know that everyone is sending good thoughts & lots of prayers for you.
    "I Believe"!! Love-Cuz Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not encourage the "Bobercup" Lady Laura.
      That lady is trouble! ; )
      Thanks for all your kind posts and the dozen of cards you've sent me.
      I really do appreciate it. Can't wait to see you in person soon.
      You're going to be looking at a much healthier guy.

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna hold you to that! :)
      Boberladle? nah--doesn't have quite a ring to it! :)
      Rest well and I'll check in tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. Bob, I've been thinking about you...I am glad you're home so you can relax in your own surroundings.
    I hope that you continue to get better everyday! I will keep you in my prayers!!
    Lisa F.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear from you Lisa. Thanks for the prayers and checking in here.
    I'm in repair....
    I'm not together but I'm getting there.
    My 2nd brief home stay was only about 24 hours long then I was readmitted and I've been here again since Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my lung transplant friends described it as: steroids-making you want to eat the wallpaper off the wall.....
    Prograf can definitely make you shaky and have some memory issues but worth it!
    Hang in and keep riding the coaster, hopefully it will pull back into the station soon.

    ReplyDelete