Thursday, August 29, 2013

It's a one time thing.... It just happens alot....

After the big scare this week and the mumblings of the dreaded "R word", the seven million blood tests, blood cultures, ultra sounds, chest scans, and other CT Scans, the flood of antibiotics IV's, and the 1500 mg of Prednisone, (whew!) the results this morning were all pretty much normal with the exceptions of a few small issues such as (in a complete flip of the past 15 years) I now need MORE protein in my diet, I need more albumin, more iron, and most of this is addressable through diet. 
    My Stat Blood Lab Order on Tuesday

My white blood count is still a bit high, but no fever for the past 24 hours. There is some accumulated fluid around both of the organs but none of the docs seem too concerned about this and expect it to be eventually absorbed. As far as the elevated Amylase & Lipase levels the doctors have a few possible theories but without any one smoking gun these are only possible culprits. 

Now my tx coordinator, and my tx "Coach" Jan, whose guidance has been invaluable throughout these past three years, have both told me to expect these
occasional blips on the road to tx recovery almost to the point that they are dang near inevitable at one time or another. I'm just looking at these last two visits here as two of my blips right outta' the gate and now I'm looking forward to some smooth road for a stretch.
God willing.

The main point to keep in mind through all of this craziness is that the two new organs continue to function fantastically.
Even with all the Prednisone my blood sugar has not gone higher than the 140's
and my creatinine is .09.

Today has just been a wait 'n see day.

Dr. Yang was in first thing this morning and after explaining my tests and fielding my questions he explained that he wanted to be reasonably sure that when I leave this time that I won't be back within a few hours. So he has pulled me off all IV therapies, continued everything else, and I am being watched, monitored, and tested to be sure the fever doesn't come charging back, heart rate and BP stay in check, etc.. So I'm walking around the floor (not many steps like home) but then just taking it easy, just like home. 

Now if no ugly monsters raise their heads
even without all the IV meds and all systems stay green then possibly I may get to go home tomorrow. Maybe.
If only.

So you know what I know and the definitive word will probably come early tomorrow morning.

I'll be sure to let you know

9 comments:

  1. music to my ears! thanks for the update...glad things are starting to level off for you finally! keep on keeping on my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like your welcome home dinner should be a nice juicy steak! enjoy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hez this is wonderful news. now just rest and regroup. Elvis will soon be back in the Consol... so much love coming your way. stay strong. hugs \m/,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home again...home again...jiggety jig...and hopefully without tooany more jigs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read this in the morning and see posted......'Going Home'!! I pray for smooth sailing!!!! Hang in there, Captain!!! as always, Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they send you home with an honorary medical degree!
    Your blog is inspirational by reminding us all to keep on keeping on...you have no idea how many people you may be 'helping'.

    You do a great job keeping us informed...thank you!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blips suck by the way....but you are and will make it through. I probably said this to you before but someday you will look back on this and it will not seem as bad in the rear view mirror. Right now...it still sucks.
    But I continue to be amazed that you are blogging all of this yourself. My husband Noel was my my "informant" for the world. You "worry" about all of us during your posts. You are a wonderful, strong, inspirational man Bob and we all are privileged to know you. Praying for tomorrow to be a great day...no matter what it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep the good reports along with your positive attitude coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another riveting episode of Bob Lenz Transplant ....we gotta find you that journalism gig! This is an amazing journey. Your perseverance is indeed inspiring because I figure that some days you just don't feel like blogging. Not only do your friends and family appreciate your transparency but journaling records each milestone and reinforces each triumph. How can you not marvel at how intricate and fragile our bodies really are, yet how miraculously they can recover from devastation! Sharing this experience with you and encouraging one another is a beautiful dimension of our humanity. Hoping and praying for your last hospital release.

    ReplyDelete