Saturday, September 14, 2013

Two Weeks Out...

Today has marked two whole weeks that I've been out of the hospital now and although the recovery life runs at a slow pace there has been some improving albeit slowly. Thus the reason for no daily posts lately.

There were a few changes in my meds after clinic on Monday. 
Magnesium Oxide was doubled to stave off the hand and leg cramping which had begun to bug me.
Sleep is still very fitful and tremor city continues.

Thursday, I had bloodwork labs done first thing and then later I had an appointment with my nephrologist. Although they had been apprised of my transplant and kept very up to date by the staff at Pinnacle, the reception that I received there was unbelievable. The office staff were authentically excited to see me. 
Dr. Schendel met me in the waiting room with an ear to ear smile, congratulations, and a hearty handshake. He was like a kid at Christmas - so psyched that all had gone the way it has. He was very enthusiastic, full of questions about the whole experience with a very genuine interest and just a hint of a "I knew it would be this good for you" attitude. 
He examined me, reviewed all my new meds, answered questions, and assured me that I'm doing quite well. As far as the swelling in my abdomen he tells me that a lot of it right now is edema and that it's not going away until my body is ready to absorb or otherwise get rid of these extra fluids.

My nephrologist is second to none. And as with the rest of what I commonly refer to as my "hand picked medical team" 
I am extremely fortunate to have him / and all the rest of them.

Today the IV drugs that they are to give me on Tuesday were to be delivered today but nothing came. I'll be sure to post how it goes on Tuesday as there has been a good deal of hype about it so we'll see.

I continue to enjoy these fine late summer days with a renewed appreciation.

Hope things are well with all of you.

I'll post again soon.






7 comments:

  1. What a great post...things are going well, so not as much to share!! Sounds like you ARE becoming a more patient man (maybe). I do hope rest is coming a bit more frequent and for longer periods...
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posts Bob! Hoping each day is better for you. (First we celebrated one-month post-op, and now we celebrate two-weeks at home!) yay~all good things! Keep up the good work getting better! Lova ya!
    Cuz Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great news to hear! Your 'team' sounds wonderful! And I AM grateful you are in such wonderful hands! Yes, truly enjoy these wonderful days of Autumn! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! As always, Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 2 weeks at home...and getting a little better each day! Enjoy the weather and the cool brisk autumn air from your patio...soon you will get to watch the leaves change. This is the best time of year...enjoy it bob! Good luck on Tuesday with your IV meds. Always be sound :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good docs that instill confidence are the bomb!That they are also nice is such a wonderful added bonus. Enjoy the late summer sun and let it continue to heal you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, I have to share this with you my friend. I just transported a patient back home by a regular van. This patient and I was talking and she lives in your home town. This patient had the same transplant procedure done. That was 14 years ago. She says I am suppose to tell you that the recovery is a slow process and to just give it time. Bob, you now have 2 weeks home time under your belt. This is great news! Keep up the good work! You know what you have to do. This patient was telling me how her life has been since the transplant. She is doing good. She was having some pain tonight ( not related to the transplant), is why she was at the hospital. I hope this helps you out some my friend and gives you a future to look forward to. Take care my friend and hopefully get to chat with you soon. Text me or Vox me anytime you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news Bob for the two weeks at home! Thanks for the update and Pray all goes well Tuesday. Keep up the slow steady progress. Dot

    ReplyDelete