Friday, September 20, 2013

Pills to prevent Ills........

Even though I didn't have clinic in Harrisburg this week, the transplant center continues to review all the bloodwork that I've had done and for the third time this week, they've called and again changed my meds.

Today I received yet another box of drugs overnighted from the pharmacy in Long Island with a brand new alternative to the Prograf that I've been taking.
 Prograf is a strong immunosuppressive drug that beats down your immune system to help avoid rejection of the new organs.
Prograf is also one of the main culprits in the causing of the tremors that continue to bug me.
I've been taking a dose in the morning and double that dose in the evening.

Dr. Yangs thinks that perhaps the spikes in the amount of this drug in my body is a big contributor to all the shaking going on and has discontinued my current regiment of Prograf and replaced it with a new drug that's only been available in this country for two months called Astagraf XL which is basically the same compound, just extended release.

So I will take a double dose once a day in the morning now and we'll see how things work out.

In a strange twist of fate, Pinnacle was one of the transplant centers where this drug was initially put through experimental trials and researched more than ten years ago and so with it's recent release,
I am one of the first to be put on it post transplant.

Just call me "Cutting Edge Bob" (well...it beats the heck out of Shaky Jake.)

That's all for now.

Thanks for checking.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Never heard of it. You go you pioneer you....Hope Shaky Jake goes away.

    ReplyDelete