Monday, September 23, 2013

Astagraf Redux

After the last post I got to thinking and sorta felt embarrassed that I was going to bail on this new drug after the rough start.

So flying in the face of what the nurse had told me, I decided that I would give it a go and try to continue taking the Astagraf XL.

Yeah this kind of free thinking has gotten me in trouble before so I was sort of bracing for some fallout from the transplant team but when the nurse called me this morning with the alternative plan and I told her what I had been doing she was actually kinda psyched. 
She was definitely happy that I had stayed the course. 

So the moral of the story is: 
"free thinking rules."
Or maybe "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes."

So the coming week is full of adventure.

Blood labs this morning.

Dexascan tomorrow morning to get a base line of my bone density to use a reference since the high amounts of steroids tend to wreak havoc with the aforementioned.

And starting yesterday I'm back to taking two major doses of CellCept am/pm exactly at the same time each day for the next four days and then on Thursday, at clinic (6:15 am), they are going to test me for CellCept absorption or some such matter. I just know it is pretty darn early, I can't eat or drink anything for 12 hours prior, and they're going to take three separate blood draws over three hours.

I can't make this stuff up.

Thanks for looking here.

7 comments:

  1. Just checking in you Bob. Keep up the good spirits and the good hard work you have been doing. We keep praying for you up on this end of the state. Day by day my friend. 1 step at a time. Take care my friend and I will be checking back in with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief...Doctor! You ARE getting an honorary medical degree, right??? I cannot believe all that has gone over the weekend. I wish there was something to say or do, that would ease some of the bumps on this road you are on.... You must know we are all still "out here" sending EVERY healing thought, wish prayer and holding you in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm....glad your plan of attack is going in your favor...has it helped with the shaking as was originally hoped? Please dont take it in your own hands to modify your meds though...going forward. Good luck with all your labs and scans this week! Its a new dawn...its a new day...and im feeling good!
    Be sound
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutting Edge Bob is back...as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes--we're trying to get you fattened up, and the tests are starving you! I can't believe your test is at 6:15 am - which means you probably are getting up around 4am to get ready to go! Wow! Hang in there Bob. I Believe! Cuz Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh trust Laura. I do NOT need fattened up. Quite the opposite is my current goal.
    Prednisone says "Eat! Eat! Eat!" and it's a major battle with self control that I don't always win.
    Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a full week ahead!! Straight onward and upward!! Continue the march!! Remember we are allll marching along side of you! Take care!!! and remember.....LETS GO PENS!!! ;) Always, Jo

    ReplyDelete