Thursday, September 26, 2013

Life Upgrade

It was a very early morning today.




First blood test was at 6:15, followed by me taking my CellCept and a second bloodtest 30 minutes later, then a two hour layover and yet a third bloodtest.



 This is a cool new feature at Pinnacle.

After all that it was a good day at clinic as I got to see Dawn, Becca, and Deb, a trifecta of great people at the transplant center. Then I was examined by Dr. Narins who is very happy with my overall progress. Both he and Deb said they want me "to start living." 

Living.....i.e. being able to go to the farmer's markets, being able to ride my bike (cautiously), start other lite exercise, and even go to church.
(Again with instruction to be one of the last ones there and one of the first to leave, keeping handshakes, etc. to a minimun.)

So this is wonderful and very welcome news to me!

In a bit of a departure from what I've experienced in the past when I've told the docs about the side effects and they've said "Well your new organs are working fine."... today Dr. Narins wanted to address the tremors head on.

He has taken me off of the"new drug" Astagraf XL because not only didn't it help with the tremors, but it also wasn't staying in my bloodstream for as long as I need it. So back to Prograf I go... but just for now. They want to see me back at clinic next Thursday and Dr. Narins plans to put me on another, different, immunosuppressive alternative all in the hopes of losing these darn shakes.

He also rearranged my CellCept doses to alleviate some other nasty side effects, and he has given me the OK to use cough medicine to treat a nagging cough that has been buggin for the past three weeks.

So even though they had most of my bloodwork from this morning available to review at clinic today, there are other results that are still pending.

All in all, it was a long, but good clinic checkup day.

Thanks for checking here.

7 comments:

  1. This is absolutely fantastic news! You've been set free to BE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob what great news to wake up to this Friday morning! I know how badly you have wanted to do the simple things like shop for yourself and get out of the house...just keep being very careful with germs. Carry some purell everywhere you go...do things like wipe down the handle on shopping carts...wash your hands often and avoid touching your face until you do so. In church...dont feel bad if you need to move to another area if you see sick people around you. And please be so careful doing LIGHT exercise and bike riding. Enjoy living your new life! also...i think the most effective cough medicine is delsym grape flavor...works like a charm! All the best and enjoy your weekend!
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, Thanks. But really, I already do everything you've mentioned. I have read, reread, researched, and asked all kinds of questions. I don't just sit around here, I DO my homework.
    But thanks for the heads up on the cough control. The stuff I got yesterday isn't doing jack and I'm down with grape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok ok ill stop nagging. I mean well.
    happy friday
    be sound

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad everything still is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Start living"...that sounds pretty nice...(sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like things are moving on and I am so happy. I went for labs yesterday (now only go every 8 weeks). 9 tubes of blood as they wanted some extra stuff. All this to say that at 10 years out this small aggravation is nothing. You will look back at this time later and you will smile....
    I am smiling now!

    ReplyDelete