Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Well....


Last Monday, I spent the day at the Pensylvania state capital in Harrisburg with approx. 100+ other folks from across the state in an effort to get the Donate Life PA Act on the books before the legislative session adjourned. 
Now I don't have a single bone of political activism in my body but as you probably realize, this legislation is very near and dear to me. If you follow this page at all, you've noticed that I've been trying to muster support for this law.

I arrived at the group meeting place on the Capital's steps and I was on scene for about 30 seconds when a friendly lady named Diane came over and struck up conversation, welcomed me, and gave me a Donate Life PA tee shirt. Diane wasn't one of the organizers, but rather a long time supporter and a huge advocate of organ transplantation. I learned later that she has been actively involved with Gift of Life and it's cause, since the death of her husband who was an organ donor. I also met Masha and Jen -  more quality people from northern PA whose lives have also been intertwined with the transplant process. ALL of these folks are so friendly, so helpful, so caring, that I'm beginning to believe that this is a beautiful side effect / gift from being touched by the transplant experience.
A sort of - "Let's not try to see through each other in this life......Let's try to see each other through" philosophy that this world could use a lot more of.
I aspire to be more like these people.

Once inside the Capital, we met with folks from Gift of Life, CORE, NKF, and others and were given information and directions on who we needed to petition to get this bill passed. I went to the offices of my state senator and my district representative and introduced myself, had extended conversations with their staff, and  expressed my thanks as both of them have been supportive of  Act 850.

All of this peace, love, and understanding had me feeling so good as I left the capital that day. I had met some wonderful people, it was a spectacular Kodachrome kind of day with bright sun, deep blue, cloudless skies, and crisp autumn air that warmed to a welcome 76ยบ by mid afternoon. The capital is an absolutely gorgeous building, steeped in history, and in some small way, maybe it was a tiny bit of history that we were all part of today.

That was last Monday. 
SB 850 needed to be passed by the House by Friday.

It didn't make it.

Now, when the legislature convenes, all the work to get the Donate Life PA Act passed will again, start from square one.
Now I know this is the way the game is played, the way legislation works, but there are lives in the balance here.
It's all very frustrating.

Thanks for your help, your support, and for checking in here.

2 comments: