Friday, May 30, 2014

In My Eyes.....



So.....This past Memorial Day weekend I went to a few cemeteries, visited with loved ones that have gone on, I talked with my mom awhile, I payed respects to others......and it was a very beautiful sunny, spring day. The kind of day that I have a new-found, deep appreciation for in lieu of all of the events of the past year.
A REAL appreciation deep inside as I continually thought of how damn lucky I was not to be currently residing among these stones. As I was winding up my visit, a marker, (above) on the back of one stone caught my eye and when I read it.......I got a lump in my chest roughly the size of a Kennebec potato.
I mentioned to a friend that I was glad it had been a sunny day and that I had my shades on.

OK, before you all go off thinking that Bob has gotten as mushy as a rotten potato, you have to understand that even beyond the side effects of some of the drugs that I'm on that can really wreak havoc with your emotions, this whole donor / recipient,..... souls united in the cosmic dust thing,..... really can't be completely appreciated from the the back seat of the theater. But when it's close.......when it's YOU.....or someone you love, be it the donor ....or the recipient.....it is on a much, much deeper, uber-intense level.

Now I have to be clear here, this was not my donor, but now that doesn't matter....we are all intertwined.

Words escape me right now and eloquence has never really been my friend, but the parents of the lad that rests under this marker (he was only 16,) who saw to it that his young, effervescent spirit could live on through organ donation and gave that gift of life to others, these people are super human to me.
Beyond the human vice of selfishness, beyond the overwhelming grief that they had to have been suffering, and possessed with a power bigger than the pain - they chose to do this. These are the saints among us.

May God forever bless them and their son.

4 comments:

  1. Well said, my friend. Well said. Always, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My day here in Cambodia is beginning before your day in PA, but I'm still remembering it is your 10 month anniversary today on June 2nd. I hope you wake up to another beautiful day just like the day you described here. I've been saying many prayers for you to have many more years of health and happiness. We are all connected whether in life or death and no matter the distance...we are all one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very eloquently said Bob....and his parents would be grateful for your kind words and thoughts. Love ya! Cuz Laura

    ReplyDelete