Sunday, March 2, 2014

Seven


SEVEN months ago today, at this moment, I was in surgery with machines doing my breathing for me, machines pumping and cleaning my blood, machines monitoring my heart, my lungs and my brain activity.
Machines making sure I was alive and some damn fine doctors doing their best to keep me that way.
Now seven months later, by their genius hands and by the grace of God, I remain that way.

Although no one knows exactly which day has their name on it, I've been advised by the same doctors that I most likely wouldn't be here this day without that day seven months ago.

And so......I remain v e r y  thankful. 
'Seventy times seven times' thankful.

The incisional hernia fix was a month ago tomorrow and although things are still not feeling all copacetic in that region, Dr. Yang assures me it's "all fixed."  Time will tell. 

It's been a crazy, rocky road but as of  late things have settled down into a post transplant groove that will serve as my "normal" for the future. The sudden changes, unexpected events, and all the daring drama seem to have faded for now or perhaps it's just the excitability of the patient that has calmed.

Either way, this blog is obviously starting to wind down as it has successfully served the purpose for which I intended it. I've been asked to speak on a transplant panel in June and I hope to see if this blog could continue to help anyone else and so I will keep it going for the time being and post when I have something new to report.

Thank you for continuing to check in here.


6 comments:

  1. 7 months and the milestones will keep piling up. Thanks to the doctors for saving you my friend. Thanks to docs and nurses and therapists etc. everywhere for saving all of us who have needed transplants. Keep up the good work of healing and sharing. Cool to hear that you are the panel, I know you will do well. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very thankful too...stay strong my friend...always be sound :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep On Truckin GB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another month of good living and many more on the way. Thinking of you. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. every day is a mile stone! enjoy! great to still have you as a friend! stay the course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you can 'coach', so I am sure you will be AWESOME on the panel!!!! I hope you continue writing your blog :) Beautiful Christmas present to your dad, Kara!
    All the best, everyday to you, my friend!!! Always, Jo

    ReplyDelete